From ancient cities to hot diving spots, Jordan has something for everyone and is definitely worthy of a place on your bucket list. After spending a week and a half visiting this incredible country, we’ve come up with the top 15 reasons to visit Jordan:
1) Because this desert looks like another planetWadi Rum is definitely an out-of-this-world experience.
2) Because Jordanians are some of the most hospitable people in the worldHere’s our adorable bedouin hosts treating us to some music and tea after dinner!
3) Because epic profile pics awaitDid you know you could see Petra from this angle?
4) Because you can see frescoes from the 600sQasr Amra is a royal bathhouse in the middle of the desert that’s covered in frescoes. There’s even a bear playing the guitar!
5) Because history goes way back hereTake a tour of the Wadi Rum desert to see all the spots where petroglyphs were carved into the rocks by people in ancient times.
6) Because you'll never see the night sky quite like thisHere’s a not-so-secret secret: the desert is the best place for stargazing.
7) Because camels are awesomeAnd if you’ve never ridden one, a trip through Petra will be the ideal opportunity.
8) Because electricity is overratedAnd walking through an ancient city by romantic candlelight is just an ordinary night. J/K, it’s completely magical.
9) Because TE Lawrence was a guy worth followingAqaba Fort is where the great battle against the Ottomans took place! Pro tip: watch Lawrence of Arabia before your trip so you know what you’re seeing.
10) Because you can glamp in the desertThis will definitely change everything you ever knew about camping.
11) Because this temple was dedicated to Hercules himselfStand at the Amman Citadel and bask in the ruins of ancient legend. Zero to hero, baby!
12) Because these are some of the oldest statues in the entire worldThink of it this way: they’re nearly twice as old as the Pyramids.
13) Because falafelYou’ll never have better falafel in your whole life. This is it, it’s all downhill from here.
14) Because these are some of the best preserved Roman ruins outside of RomeJerash is so well preserved it’s called the Pompeii of the East. But in fact, there’s Roman ruins all over this country.
15) Because you can re-live this scene IRLIf you haven’t heard of Petra, you’ll surely have seen it in Indiana Jones. Who didn’t grow up wishing they could be him?!
And you can search for the cup of ChristJust don’t expect to find any ancient Knights in there.
Just remember... only the penitent man shall passNot really. There’s no secret code to get in. So start planning your trip to Jordan!
Ready to plan your trip? Get started here:
Rough Guide to Jordan
How We Took a Three-Week Trip to the Holy Land for Less Than $300 Per Person
Itinerary and Price Breakdown: Christmas in the Holy Land